Mandy Davis - Diva of Deception

Mandy Davis - Diva of Deception - is a professional close up magician working for banquets, dinners, receptions, weddings, bar/batmitzvahs, private parties etc. A member of The Inner Magic Circle, she serves on their ruling Council and currently holds several posts. . Mandy is also a member of Equity and twice honoured with the Society of American Magicians' Presidential Citation.

Friday, July 27, 2007

THE DAY THAT CHANGED ITS FACE

Yesterday morning I woke up with a busy day ahead of me.

I was to perform at a hospital five minutes away from our home at 11 a.m. followed by a quick dash to another hospital for an afternoon show. Both had been rescheduled twice - there just don't seem to be many children with tonsils or broken limbs in July! In the evening we were going out for a meal with some good friends who we hadn't seen for a while.

The first change happened when I called the hospitals to make sure - and was cancelled yet again by the morning one 'we've only got two children and we had Andy yesterday anyway!' Oh well - I'm sure Andy is more than enough for one week!
Then, during a more leisurely morning than anticipated I took a call which cancelled the evening arrangements due to a daughter-in-law's family bereavement which warranted some babysitting duties for our friends.


The afternoon show went well and I had a good time apart from being almost reduced to tears - not by a child but by his mother who had him howling despairingly as she screamed at him constantly about how he deserved all the pain his broken limb was causing him and how she was going to walk out of the ward, birthday or no birthday, and never come back to him again. She even wrote his card out in front of him and handed it over without the envelope although he was too terrified by her threats to react to the written word.

Then, halfway home I got a call: 'I know it's a bit short notice...' oh well, I thought, I've nothing booked in on the afternoons this weekend so I'll be free. 'I know it's short notice but my daughter's having a party this afternoon - are you free to entertain eight year olds at 5.30???' And I was!

I dashed home, packed an appropriate show, printed off the publicity inserts for the prize bags - and off I went. Luckily it was all dovetailing beautifully - the destination was half a mile down the road from my house! Show went well, got home quite tired - and found out Rob had booked tickets for Harry Potter.

So two hospital shows and a dinner turned into one hospita showl, one birthday party (with cash payment!) and a movie -
and what a movie!

Cousin Barbara had seen the film out in Bermuda but hadn't enjoyed it at all, feeling that there was no story to it! Rob hadn't read the book either and absolutely loved it - and I really really loved it, particularly seeing scenes that had previously only been visualised in my head coming to life on front of me.

Now that's magic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home