Mandy Davis - Diva of Deception

Mandy Davis - Diva of Deception - is a professional close up magician working for banquets, dinners, receptions, weddings, bar/batmitzvahs, private parties etc. A member of The Inner Magic Circle, she serves on their ruling Council and currently holds several posts. . Mandy is also a member of Equity and twice honoured with the Society of American Magicians' Presidential Citation.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

GREAT BOOKS - GREAT READS

I found it fascinating to read my friend Brian Sibley's blog where he comments on the Times' 100 Greatest Books which all turned out to be Penguin titles to celebrate the 60th year of the publishing house. Brian, encouraged by a comment on his blog, then went on to list his top ten of all time from any publsher and it got me thinking about mine.

Well what makes a great book? To me it's one I can read over and over again and I am known to read a lot of children's books as they are comforting and sometimes, in stressful periods, that's what I need. Old friends which whisk me away to other places and other times.
So - a strange mixture and I can't put them in any numerical order:



Pollyanna by Eleanor H Porter

Almonds and Raisins by Maisie Moscoe

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone by JK Rowling

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens


Evening Class by Maeve Binchy

Mary Poppins by P L Travers



Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery



Alices Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

What Katy Did at School by Susan Coolidge

Warned you it was a strange list... Well I think that's my list; I keep thinking of more and more books I could add... like anything by Penny Vincenzi, anything by Pamela Brown but particularly her Blue Door series and on and on....

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Sibley said...

As you say, once you've picked TEN you start thinking what would be NUMBER ELEVEN!

I mean why isn't 'Mary Poppins' on MY list...? It SHOULDF have been! Really ought to have insisted on giving myself a Top Twenty!!

8:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home